Ankle Weights: Exercises and the Benefits
Widely used to increase workout intensity, ankle weights are a fitness tool that is usually fastened to the lower leg – creating a resistance during exercises. When utilised properly, they can provide excellent strength support to the lower body – quads, hamstrings, glutes and calves.
Exercises That Use Ankle Weights
The leg lift is an abs isolation exercise that is similar to V-ups but without the need to move the arms. It works both the lower and the upper abs – performed from a face-up position on the floor, with the legs raised above the body.
How to do it:
- Place your hands by your sides, then lift your leg six inches off the floor with the ankle weights securely fastened.
- Raise your legs until you reach a 30-degree angle in a smooth motion.
- Slowly lower them and repeat for 15 to 20 reps.
Typically focused on the abdominal area, bicycle crunches work the upper abs. They can be performed while you are lying on the floor.
How to do it:
- Lie flat and lift both legs about 10 inches from the floor.
- Place your hands either side of your head and move your right elbow up and to the centre, while lifting your left leg and bending it at a 90-degree angle.
- Pause briefly, then reverse the move and bring your left elbow and right knee towards each other as your left leg is extended.
- Go back and forth in a cycling motion 15 to 20 times.
An isolation exercise that strengthens the quadriceps, leg extensions are a simple movement that only involves the knees.
How to do it:
- Sit on a chair with your feet flat on the floor.
- Raise your right foot and extend your leg straight in a steady motion.
- Slowly lower your foot until it rests just above the floor and repeat.
- Switch legs after 10 to 12 reps.
Benefits of Ankle Weights
Tones the Body
Even without any resistance, leg raises still give shape to the legs. However, adding resistance will enhance the workout.
Add more weight during the exercise, as this will be more effective, building stronger muscles than normal reps. By continuously increasing the weight on your ankles, expect to attain your desired leg shape within a few weeks.
Extra weight adds extra force; thus, increasing overall endurance – which can result in the improvement of cardiovascular and pulmonary health. This will eventually boost stamina.
Burns a lot of Calories
By using extra weight, this helps the body to shed the pounds in less time. A workout combined with ankle weights pushes the body to exert more energy – thus, burning more calories.
Since our body tends to get used to the workout we perform on a regular basis, it is equally important to include variations to the workout to force your body to adapt to a new routine that is not yet logged in your muscle memory.
Ankle weights introduce variety and variability to the exercise. They can be used both for stationary exercises or for those that require many movements, such as brisk walking and jogging.
Improves Water Workouts
Swimmers are now using ankle weights in their training to further enhance their skills.
This simple piece of training equipment can make all the difference to your exercise routines. Buy steroids online in the UK today and power your way to your fitness goals!